Sunday, September 18, 2011

Williams-Somona Technique Class

Today the hubs and I went to a Williams-Sonoma class. They're offered every Sunday (free) at 11 at Williams-Sonomas around the country. Today was the first one we've ever attended and it revolved around pizza crust making.

This is one area I definitely need some improvement on. My dough is not elasticy and comes out soft and a little mushy from the ingredients after being baked. I had no idea what I was doing wrong, as I was using the same recipe my mother uses and hers always comes out great, so when I saw the class I jumped on it. Plus you get 10% off all purchases made that day when you attend the class, so that was a plus.

I must say, I was a little disappointed in the class. I thought it was going to be a class on how to make pizza crust, but it was more of a "watch us use pre-made pizza dough to make pizzas while we tell you about all the stuff we have at the store" I don't want to make pizza from a mix and I don't want to use a bread machine (nor do we have one). I consider that cheating in the world of cooking. The chef lady also made puff pastries from a pie press which confused me because it didn't even revolve around pizza crust.  I knew we wouldn't be making crusts ourselves, but it was cramped and crowded in the store and wasn't near as fun or informative as I'd expected it to be.

We did end up learning a few things (namely that my dough isn't right which is why it doesn't bake well) and that having a pizza stone is the best way to cook the pizza and our current method is not the right way. So we bought a pizza stone and a pizza peel and I'll look for more recipes online that I can use to make better dough and hopefully that'll fix my dough problems.

I also accidentally opened up a jar of pizza sauce they were passing around (I thought it was for smelling since they were passing around everything else for smelling), so we had to buy that too. But no biggie there.

No comments:

Post a Comment