Saturday, September 17, 2011

Pesto

So I finally managed to get out to a kitchen store to buy the rest of my canning supplies. Only instead of canning the hubs and I ended up stretching our own canvas to hang over a gaping lame cubby hole that's right about our fireplace. Whoever built this house was not thinking clearly when he put the internet jack in a massive cubby above the fireplace.

So no canning. Instead, we decided to make use of the intense amount of basil we have growing outside. When we re-did the garden we planted some basil along with some chives and mint in two rectangular planters. The basil has now completely taken over the chives and is now growing like a weed.

You can barely even see the chives inside the mess that is the basil.

Before I started this blog I found this recipe through stumble and immediately saved it. The writer recommended buying a mezzaluna to make the pesto over using a food processor (which we own) or knives (which we also own). So we set out and bought a mezzaluna (single bladed is better than double bladed unless you want to run the risk of having your fingers chopped off trying to get the stuff out from in between the blades). We also got the matching bowl that is curved to fit the blade of the rocker to make chopping easier. So, we decided to give pesto making a go.


And we're off! We've got a "large bunch" of basil, pine nuts, Parmesan, garlic and olive oil
I'm not sure what "a large bunch" of basil is supposed to be, so I just kept cutting until I had two packed handfuls.
Add some of the basil, stems removed, and the garlic. Start chopping!
You're supposed to wash the basil, but I didn't. I grew the stuff in my backyard with organic potting soil and nothing else, so I wasn't worried about washing off pesticides, chemicals or dirt.

And the chopping is commenced

Added more basil, kept chopping

Lookimg good!

Time to add the pine nuts (a small handful)

Now the Parmesan cheese (3/4 cup loosely packed)

Once the mixture is minced well, pack it into a cake and put it in a little bowl.
Then you're supposed to add some olive oil (a tablespoon or so)
And there it is! I made pesto! We are going to have it over pasta which I think will be good. The hubs refuses to use the pasta strainer and he accidentally dumped the pasta down the drain when trying to drain the pasta using the lid, so now we're re-making the pasta again.

Pasta try #2. Successfully using the strainer

When you're ready for the pesto you stir it up with the olive oil

Dinner is served

The end of dinner
I shoveled this stuff so fast into my mouth I didn't bother breathing. I've never tasted pesto this amazing before. I will definitely be making this again. The hubs's response: "You can make this again any time you want." along with "That's the best pesto I've ever had" - and I second that. He scarfed it down just as fast as I did. The mixture of the olive oil and the garlic with the basil was amazing. I can still taste it in my mouth. I can see why the article said if you want the best pesto to use a mezzaluna and chop it all by hand. I'm in cloud nine.

Perhaps I'm not such a bad cook after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment